Tuesday, August 19, 2008

MARRIAGE: Perform acts of Kindness


If every husband and every wife would constantly do whatever might be possible to ensure the comfort and happiness of his or her companion, there would be very little, if any, divorce. Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley


Practice Activity:
Each spouse makes a list of 10 or more things that they would like their spouse to do more often. The requests should be specific (Ask me how my day went) rather than general requests (Be more interested in me). The requests should be core issues in a major conflict. Requests should be simple and inexpensive.

Consider asking for acts of kindness such as compliments, love notes, telephone calls, and so forth.

Other requests could include doing the laundry or some other household task, holding hands, cuddling on the couch, listening, etc.

Do 3 of the things on your spouse's wish list each day, even if your spouse forgets to do likewise.

Even though this is a planned exercise, it can help enhance the marriage relationship, particularly as you do the activity as a genuine expression of love, appreciation and devotion.

My Thoughts:
My husband and I have done this and we were faithful about doing so. It was decided before we even began, that we would remind each other of doing 3 things on the list until we got into the habit of it. It was such a wonderful thing, to feel important and know that he loved me enough to do what I felt was needed by myself. It helped to draw us closer together, of that I do know.


No comments: